Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I Spoke too Soon

Well, I spoke WAY too soon. I thought we were out of the woods with our boy Nicholas. Turns out we are nowhere near the edge of the forest. Nicholas has not been getting better and his fever, since Friday, has not broken. Yesterday, I took him into the pediatrician because I was trying to avoid a revisit to the Emergency Room. The pediatrician ran a few brief tests and gave Nicholas some medication in a most uncomfortable place and then directed us back to Goryeb Children's Hospital and our friends at the ER.

We, Nicholas, my mom and I, arrived at the hospital and waited roughly a half an hour, after being recognized by the registration attendant. We were called in by probably one of the nicest nurses/techs I have ever met and experienced, Jack. We headed back into the treatment area of the pediatric ER and within 45 seconds of being placed in a room we were greeted by the same doctor we met with on Saturday. He began caring for Nicholas without any charts or preliminaries of anything. Both he and Jack were wonderful with our scared, but brave, little guy. Nicholas had an exam and it was determined that we needed to run blood tests and get some x-rays of his chest. We also needed to have an IV started because he was borderline dehydrated. The plan was quickly set into motion and Nicholas braved his chest x-ray like a champ. Within 10 minutes of the x-ray being done a preliminary diagnosis was handed down- Nicholas has pneumonia. From there came blood tests, IV antibiotics and lots of IV fluids. It was up in the air about whether or not he would be admitted and actually came down to the last 5 minutes we were in the hospital. Part of me, as crazy as it sounds, wanted him to be admitted. I wanted the "comfort" of knowing there were trained and skilled professionals watching over my son and taking care of him. The other part just wanted to get him home and let him relax and be comfortable in his own space and bed (Actually our bed!). He was not admitted. We left the hospital late last night and are headed back to the doctor today for another check up. Our boy is on high dose antibiotics and lots of fluids. Hopefully, that will clear this thing out of him in the next week or so! Any thoughts and prayers you can send our way, are greatly appreciated!
Thanks for all the calls and texts, we're sorry we didn't get back to everyone but we will!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor little guy, hope he feels better soon. Give him another big hug and kiss from us!

Colleen @AMadisonMom said...

So sorry Nicholas is sick. The ER is not a fun place to be. Well....the Goryeb center IS nice... but I never like to spend much time there. When Zoe was born we spent way too much time there getting to know the ultrasound technicians and the x-ray techs.

I can understand the strange feeling of wishing they would admit your child. I remember feeling the same way, just once.

I hope Nicholas is feeling better.

Jennifer said...

I'll be praying for the Nicholas and the rest of you as well; a sick little one is traumatic for the whole family. My 4 month old was hospitalized twice last year, and it was heartbreaking. Hang in there!!!!

 
template by suckmylolly.com