Thursday, September 23, 2010

Remember the Titans

One of our favorite movies around here, and a movie I use in my classroom, is "Remember the Titans".  While Disney, admittedly, took liberties with the story, the message and lesson of the story is one of great importance.  The message of tolerance and respect is something that I make sure I teach Nicholas and Addison and my kids in school, too.

Today, I had the opportunity to meet and listen to the REAL Herman Boone, the head coach of the Titans who was played by Denzel Washington.  Coach Boone was invited to my school as part of a new athlete program we beginning at Morris Catholic.  He was an incredible speaker and kept the students, and the adults, captivated.  He was very honest about the discrepancies in the movie versus real life and answered numerous questions that the students asked.  He shared a message of hard work, tolerance and respect and told all of us that with out those things success in life is virtually impossible.

I am incredibly glad that I had this opportunity and I only wish that Nicholas and Addison had been there, as well, to hear him speak and meet him.


0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com